Table of Contents


  • How do I apply for a performance licence for an Andrew Lloyd Webber show?

    If you are based in the UK & Eire or outside one of the territories listed below, you can apply for a show licence by logging in/registering here and logging in to your account. 

    You will be provided with a quote which you have the option to save and discuss with your colleagues or accept in order to submit your application to be reviewed by one of the ALW Show Licensing team. 

    If you are based in one of the territories listed below, please contact the relevant licensing agent to enquire about obtaining a licence. 

    North America, Canada & MexicoConcord Theatricals 

    Australia & NZOrigin Theatricals 

    Germany, Austria & SwitzerlandMusik & Buhne 

    Scandinavia – Nordiska

    South AfricaDALRO 



  • Why do I need a licence to perform a show?

    All performances of stage musicals that are protected by copyright need to be approved and licensed by the holder of the copyright. All of our shows are copyright works and therefore any proposed production requires our prior approval, and a licence, to avoid being subject to copyright infringement claims and any other legal repercussions.  It is therefore extremely important that you do not make any plans or preparations for a production until you have checked with one of our agents that the rights are available and have secured a performance licence!

  • How much does it cost to get a licence?

    The prices we charge vary, depending on the type and scale of your proposed production. Typically though, they fall into two camps. For smaller scale schools or junior productions, we charge a flat fee per performance. For larger productions, we charge a percentage of the gross box-office receipts. This is the total amount of money you take in ticket sales. The percentage we charge varies slightly from show to show and country to country. More information regarding amateur Licensing & Materials Fees for each show is available on the applicable show page.

  • How do you know how much to charge me?

    We’ll determine the price we charge during the application process.  When you fill in the licence application form on this website, we’ll ask you some simple questions about whether you will charge ticket admission and, if so, how many tickets you expect to sell per performance. Our system will then calculate how much the licence should be and send it to one of our team for review. Once it has been approved, you will be notified by email. In some cases, licences will be granted automatically and in others a licence may be declined.  Typically, we will either charge you a flat fee per performance (this is usually for schools or where tickets are free) or we’ll charge you a royalty based on your total box office receipts.  Upon completion of your production, we will provide you a with a pro-forma royalty statement for the calculation of the performance royalty payment.

    Here is an example of how the eventual royalty payment is calculated:


    Gross Box Office Receipts

    Performance 1


    Performance 2


    Performance 3


    Performance 4


    Total Box Office


    Royalty @15%

          Less deposit


          Add VAT


         – £800


         + £2.010.47



  • Why would you decline a licence request?

    There are a handful of reasons why a request may be declined. Some shows are only available to certain group types and in certain countries.  Some shows (e.g. BOMBAY DREAMS) have yet to be developed for licensed productions.  The licensing rights to some shows are withheld because the show in question is the subject of a planned or ongoing professional production.  Some shows (e.g. ASPECTS OF LOVE, EVITA) are not available to very junior groups as the subject matter and vocal and physical performance demands of the show in question would be unsuitable.

    Occasionally, we do get clashes where two amateur societies, for example, wish to perform the same show reasonably near to one another. Because we want everyone to have the best possible chance of getting the biggest audience they can, we may decline an application out of respect for the first company to apply. 

  • How can I hire music materials?

    Depending on the size and scale of your show, you are likely to need to hire performance materials for your cast and music materials for your musicians. Some shows require extra keyboard sounds and instructions. More information regarding music materials hire and additional materials for each show is available on the applicable show page.

  • Are all of your shows available to perform?

    No, they aren’t. While it is our intention to develop all of our shows for performance, some shows are only available to certain group types and in certain countries, some are not yet ready and others are withdrawn for commercial reasons.

  • Are there any restrictions associated with performing one of your shows?

    In some cases, yes. Schools and colleges, for example, are frequently licensed on the understanding that, where possible, their production will be held on the school / college premises. Also, school and college productions are only to be advertised to parents and the school / college community.  We also license on the condition that our shows are performed as published and we do not allow elements such as music, lyrics, dialogue, storyline or characters to be changed. Our licence document includes full details of what may or may not be permitted.

    More information regarding our Licence Terms & Conditions for each show is available on the applicable show page.

  • Can we film our production?

    We are prepared to consider requests from groups in the U.K. and Eire to film their productions of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT and THE LIKES OF US. If you wish to apply for such rights, the licence holder for the group should contact us for further details.  We cannot consider film requests in respect of our other works at this point in time.

  • I have a question that’s not answered here. Who should I contact?

    Please contact your licensing representative or the ALW Show Licensing team with any additional questions.  You can find your representative’s contact information here.


  • How do I purchase Andrew Lloyd Webber sheet music?

    If you would like to buy physical sheet music, please visit Sheetmusic Plus if you are based in the US & Canada, and Musicroom if you are based in the UK & Europe.

    If you would like to digitally download sheet music or sign up to a monthly sheet music subscription, you can do so at Sheet Music Direct.

  • How do I hire concert materials?

    Wise Music and their agents handle the concert rental catalogue for the works of Andrew Lloyd Webber and William Lloyd Webber for all territories, excluding North America and Australasia. 

    Find your local Wise Music agent

    North America: For more information about renting materials for performance in North America, please contact Robin Pomatto (robin.pomatto@concord.com).

    Australasia: To hire concert materials for performance in Australasia, please contact ORiGiN Theatrical.  

    Alternatively, for more information about the works available and to make a rental order or enquiry, please login / register on Zinfonia.



  • How do I get permission to use a song in Film or TV?

    If you would like to use a copyrighted song (an official recording or cover version) in a Film, TV Show, Video Game, Advert or any other Visual Media, you will most likely need a synchronisation licence, also known as a Sync Licence.

    To apply for a sync licence for one of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s songs, please contact Universal Music Publishing.

  • Who can I contact for lyric reprint, arrangement or reproduction requests?

    Please contact Hal Leonard for all Lyric Reprint, Arrangement or Reproduction requests. 

  • Can I upload my own cover versions to YouTube, Facebook, TikTok etc.?

    You can upload cover versions of Andrew Lloyd Webber songs to YouTube, Facebook and Instagram without requiring permission from the rightsholder as these platforms have licences in place to cover music usage.

    TikTok, Twitter and Snapchat do not have these licences in place and therefore any unlicensed covers risk being taken down.

  • I have a question that’s not answered here. Who should I contact?

    Please contact us.

WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin